AliNovember 13, 2015 at 11:26 am #889
Creating a child theme ensures that your custom changes are preserved on the next update. Unless the file you edited gets a big update in a future version, you will no longer have to ever re-do your changes when using a Child Theme.
Read more on WordPress Codex.
Yo can download our standard child theme for Patricia from HERE.
…or Here’s how to do it for Patricia:
1. Create a new folder in wp-content/themes/. Name it anything – we’ll use patricia-child in this how-to.
2. Browse to this new folder, and create a style.css file. Paste the following code:CSS12345678910111213/*Theme Name: Patricia Child ThemeTheme URI: http://betterstudio.com/Version: 1.0.0Description: Designed by <a href="http://betterstudio.com/" rel="nofollow">BetterStudio</a>Author: BetterStudioAuthor URI: http://betterstudio.com/Text Domain: better-magLicense: GNU General Public LicenseLicense URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.htmlCopyright: (c) 2014 BetterStudioTemplate: patricia*/
Modify the details as needed.
3. Go to Appearance > Themes and activate your newly created child theme. In this example, it will be named “Patricia Child Theme”.
4. You may have to re-assign your main menu. Go to Appearance > Menus > Manage Locations and re-assign your “Main Menu” to “Main Navigation”.
3. Now you can overwrite theme files with your custom changed ones. Let’s say you wanted to change the HTML structure of footer.php, you would copy the footer.php from “patricia” to “patricia-child”, and edit as you wish.
That’s all.mgandiaDecember 8, 2015 at 3:32 pm #961
If I install the Child theme, am I going to lose all the changed that I have donde so far?
MiriammgandiaDecember 11, 2015 at 4:07 pm #967
bumpAliDecember 20, 2015 at 3:55 pm #987
No! all your settings will be saved and there will not be any problem in changing theme.
You must be logged in to reply to this ticket.